About Me

Monday, September 7, 2015

I'm back (I think)

Someone asked me the other day why I didn't have a blog.  They said there are some people that want to hear what I have to say.  Maybe it's my way of just saying what I think.  Or maybe it is my weird sense of humor.  After all I have used comic strips in the past to make a spiritual point.  

Whatever the reason, I did have a moderate following on my blog before.  But I haven't posted since 2013.  Why?  One big reason was parenthood.  

I knew having a kid would change my life but there is no way I could have imagined how much so.  But the answer isn't quite that simple.  I quit blogging because life got quite busy.  

Currently, I serve as Associate Pastor for Berea Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Arkansas.  I handle most of the administrative and educations duties. 

I also currently serve as the President of the AT&T Veterans Employee Resource Group, an employee driven 501(3)c volunteer organization.  

And I work full time and keep up with the house my wife and I bought several years ago and spend time caring for, teaching, and playing with 3-year old son.

I know, excuses excuses.  But there are only so many hours in the day for fixing and eating dinner with my son (wife works late evenings), updating websites, answering emails, prepping Bible studies, packing for work and school the next day, etc.  Don't get my started on chores around the house.

But I decided to try taking on a blog again.  I transitioned it from an old email I don't use any longer to the Google account I use for all things Google.

It's almost 9:00 PM now.  Got home not long ago from an evening at my parent's.  Dinner and some family time...just enjoying our day off for Labor Day.  My son is tucked in bed and my wife is curled up reading.  I'm tired so this first "I'm back" blog is gonna be short.

Before I go though, let me say this.  I've changed a lot since the last blog post.  Learned a lot in just the last two years about life, parenting, and more.  I'll try to share a variety of experiences and thoughts that may appeal to a broader audience.

So for tonight, let me give you a quick thought I had after talking to someone at work last week:

Parent's should be coaches, not referees.  Parent's need to stop just blowing a whistle when your child commits a foul and get personally involved in the game.  

You can shape your child a lot more by demonstrating character and morality than by just punishing them when they try to figure it out on their own and fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment