About Me

Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses

I was sitting in my home office working on some church "stuff" when my wife, who was resting downstairs, hollered and said someone knocked on the door.  I was a bit annoyed being bothered on a Saturday by what I presumed to be a salesman of some sort, and not a very observant one as he knocked instead of ringing the doorbell.  I took a peak through the peep hole and saw two somewhat older ladies standing at my front door with a little black book and some larger colorful magazines.  

I couldn't help but smile and knew I was about to get "witnessed" to by the Jehovah's Witnesses.  I was quite certain that colorful magazine was their precious Watchtower.  I kinda chuckled, knowing that while they were confident in their ability to argue their viewpoints with most anyone, they hated running into guys like me...guys that are every bit as grounded in Biblical doctrine and could and would challenge their every erroneous statement.  

The first thing she asked me was if I knew who the "god" of this world was.  I smiled sweetly and said I sure do, how about you.  She then proceeded to tell me that of course she did, and explained to me that the Bible said that Satan was the "god" of this world and she offered to leave me with the Watchtower so I could see why.  I told her that was quite ok; that as an ordained Baptist minister I felt I had all the resources I need to answer that question.  Her expression quickly changed and off she went.  

Interestingly enough, the Watchtower website does not use the phrase "god of this world" as the Witness at my door had, but rather "ruler" of the world.  So who really does control the world?

The Witnesses quote 1 John 5:19 which says "We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one."  The term world here refers to those outside of the first part of that verse, that is, those that are not from God; therefore, the lost.  Satan has power of the lost and the world in general, but to what extent?  1 John 5:18 says God protects those born of God and the evil one does not touch him.  

All throughout Scripture we see God using both the Elect and the lost to carry out His will.  Scripture also tells us that if we resist he devil, he will flee from us.  So while Satan may be allowed to rule the world in a general sense, the ultimate Master of this world with the final authority over what does and doesn't happen is God himself.  

It is important to understand that only God is sovereign and that Satan can do no more than what God allows.  I challenge true Christians (I may discuss later why Jehovah's Witness are not Christians) to be less concerned about Satan's temporary title of ruler of the world and worry more about introducing others to the Everlasting Ruler of All.

No comments:

Post a Comment