About Me

Monday, May 9, 2011

Characteristics of a Godly Mother


Adapted from Mother's Day Sermon: May 8, 2011
Associate Pastor Jeff Rudd

Introduction: There has been enough said about mother’s over the years to fill an entire library. Everyone has their own idea of what a mother should and shouldn’t be, and many men and women have tried to pay tribute to the women that raised them, others have blamed their mother’s for the wrong they’ve done in their own lives. Here are some things one writer said his mom taught him:

  • To appreciate a job well done when she said "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside - I just finished cleaning!"
  • Religion when she said "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
  • Time travel: "If you don't straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
  • Logic: "Because I said so, that's why."
  • Irony: "Keep laughing and I'll give you something to cry about."
  • The science of osmosis: "Shut your mouth and eat your supper!"
  • Contortionism: "Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck!"
  • Weather: "It looks as if a tornado swept through your room."
  • How to solve physics problems - "If I yelled because I saw a meteor coming toward you; would you listen then?"
  • The circle of life - "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
One of the things I always remember my mom trying to teach me was to appreciate what I had in life along with concern and compassion for others. However, it wasn’t always an easy task for her. One time when I didn’t eat something on my plate, she told me there were kids starving in Africa that would be happy to have what I refused to eat. I replied, I’m sure with a sweet grin on my face, that she should pack it up and mail it the kids in Africa. 

On a serious note, Washington Irving once said “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”

Today, in honor of Mother's Day, which we just celebrated, we are going to take a look at what God’s word says about His standards for a mother and the characteristics of a godly wife and mother.

I. Her Trustworthiness: Proverbs 31:11-12
  1. Husband does not maintain a jealous guard over her
  2. Husband does not lock up his valuables (common in ancient days)
  3. Wife has access to the family resources
  4. Wife demonstrates loyalty to husband in by bringing good to him
II. Her Behavior: Proverbs 31:13-24
  1. She provides food and clothing (verse 13-15)  We see this as an act of meeting physical needs; however, Jesus saw those that diligently worked to provide food and clothes as engaging a spiritual act of worship. Matt 25:34-36 says “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me”
  2. She properly manages their resources (verse 16). While we may sometimes find mom’s efforts to squeeze the last bit of mustard out of the jar or scoop the last bit of laundry detergent out of the box as silly or annoying, Jesus saw such efforts as godly stewardship. In Matt 25:20-21 Jesus, near the end of the parable of the talents, says “And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, Master, you delivered to me five talents;here I have made five talents more. His master said to him, Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.”
  3. She is busy and provides for her family (verse 17–18)
  4. She cares for others (verse 20-21). That desire for mom to always protect, nurture, and provide for even those outside of her family, even at the expense of meeting her own needs and desires at times, is seen as archaic and foolish; however, once again this is one of mom’s spiritual acts of worship. Proverbs 19:17 says “Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.”
III. Her Character: Proverbs 31:25-26
  1. She finds strength and confidence in the Lord (verse 25). Psalm 121: 1-2: I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. The greatest example that I have of one lifting their eyes to the hills for daily help is my mom, who each morning did a much better job at spending time with her Lord than I ever did. She knew each day there would be a struggle between what the world would try to convince her she needed and wanted in her life and what God had called her life to be, and she understood that she could only win that battle by admitting how weak and frail she was and allowing the strength and confidence to come from Christ.
  2. She teaches wisdom with mercy and kindness (verse 26). Proverbs 6:20-22 speaks of the importance of a mother’s teaching: "My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching. Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.
IV. Her life: Proverbs 31:27-31
  1. Her children call her blessed: one of the greatest joys for a mother should be for her children to grow up and praise her as their source of wisdom.
  2. Husband praises her and in his eyes she surpasses all others.
  3. She views holiness and virtue as far more important and desirable than charm and beauty.
  4. The labor she does for her family and for others brings praise to her and ultimately exalts her Lord and Savior as these are acts of love for others and worship of Jesus Christ.
Conclusion: Billly Graham once remarked that “Only God Himself fully appreciates the influence of a Christian mother in the molding of character in her children”. Sadly, millions of children right now don’t know the love
trustworthiness, provisions, character, and love of a mother or a father. In closing today, I want to share with you how you can help. 

The first way, obviously, is to be kind of wife and mother God called you to be. The second is to teacher other women how to do the same. But there are other opportunities I want to discuss with you today…the opportunity to support two ministries that has become very dear to me and my wife - Holt International and the Arkansas Baptist Children's Homes.  

Holt International is a Christian organization that works to find and support permanent families for children who are orphaned, abandoned or separated from families, or at serious risk of separation. This work is an expression of God's compassion for children. Holt is a global leader in providing services and advocating for the best interest of children, setting the highest ethical practices.  They are dedicated to carrying out God's plan for every child to have a permanent, loving family.  

My wife and I have had the joy of supporting a precious child now for several months and recently received word that he has bee adopted by a loving Christian family in the United States. We recently received information on the child we will be supporting now that our first one has been placed with a permanent family.  For only $30 a month you can help provide the food, shelter, clothing, and attentive care needed to meet a child's basic needs.  

The ABCHomes website says "The Arkansas Baptist Children’s Homes and Family Ministries (ABCHomes) is a non-profit agency of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. Through residential childcare and counseling services, ABCHomes is seeking to be the foremost provider to children and families in crisis in Arkansas.

Since its’ founding in 1894, ABCHomes has been ministering to and meeting needs of some of the states most vulnerable. Today, ABCHomes provides a safe, secure home for an average of 320 children and youth each year, as well as provides about 2,300 counseling sessions a year."

Please visit the websites for ABCHomes and Holt International for more information on how you can help.

I leave you with this from James 1:27: Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment