About Me

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lessons from Get Fuzzy: Anthropology

I was quite surprised at the reaction I received from Lessons from Get Fuzzy.  This won't be a daily thing but it did seem to be quite popular so I will try to update you on the latest with Bucky and Satchel once and awhile.  

Hope you enjoy the below comic and the lesson to follow.  If the strip is too small, right click on it and open it in a new window or tab. 

 Thanks for your support.

Get Fuzzy

Bucky and Satchel's frequent misunderstanding of various words and phrases along with Bucky's wild theories and political views often leads to an extremely funny dialogue with the other characters.


As humans, we often have a tendency to open our mouth without taking the time to make sure we have a true understanding of the topic we feel compelled to discuss.  The results, when handling Scripture and spiritual matters, are often not humorous and can have serious consequences.
 
As I go about life each day, I hear people trying answer all sorts of questions about the Bible or trying to offer counseling without a solid foundation of their own.  I hear people answering a question with "well doesn't the Bible say....?"  Well...does it?  If you don't know for sure....shouldn't you look it up before creating confusion with wrong information?

People remembering bits and pieces of Scripture and using it out of context has devastating effects.  One such example is the passage that instructs Christians not to be unequally yoked.  I can't count the number of times I've had that used to teach against interracial marriage.   
 
Others have pointed to commands in the Old Testament not to marry those from other people groups in the area when Israel moved into the Promise Land as a command against interracial marriage.
 
Incidentally there is only one race - the human race - but we'll save that for another day.  

The issue with using the "yoked" verse to teach against interracial marriage is the fact that there is more to that verse..it actually says "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers."  And why the command for Israel not to marry from what I call the ites (Canaanites, etc)?  Because they worshiped idols - they were unbelievers. There is no command against interracial marriages - only that Christians marry other believers (again - another topic for another day).  
 
It is important we learn God's Word and when we aren't certain what His Word says, we take time to study it and seek God's answer rather than throw our own theory.
 
Those of you reading my blog and have me on Facebook are welcome to send comments or post on my wall.  If you don't have me on Facebook, feel free to email me at jeff.rudd@bbcjax.net.  
 
By the way, I am in no way endorsing Get Fuzzy or it's creator as Christian.  I just find most of the strips to be quite entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment